Kansas City didn’t demonstrate many weaknesses in its run to the 2021 Super Bowl, but the one weakness it did have — its offensive line — was exposed in the worst way possible against the Buccaneers.
That should be a major area of concern for Kansas City heading into 2021, especially with three starters from that patchwork unit already gone to free agency. But it’s not the only one.
The Chiefs will need to invest in protection for quarterback Patrick Mahomes, but they’ll need to keep finding him skilled-position weaponry in the receiving corps as well. And improving the defense won’t hurt, either.
Here’s everything you need to know about Kansas City’s 2021 NFL Draft, including ordering and needs:
MORE NFL DRAFT: Complete 7-round mock | Top 100 big board
Chiefs draft picks 2021: When does Kansas City pick?
- Round 2, Pick No. 58: Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri
- Round 2, Pick No. 63: Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
- Round 4, Pick No. 144: Joshua Kaindoh, EDGE, Florida State
- Round 5, Pick No. 162: Noah Gray, TE, Duke
- Round 5, Pick No. 181: Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson
- Round 6, Pick No. 226: Trey Smith, G, Tennessee
Chiefs 2021 draft order
|2||26 (58)||From Ravens|
|4||39 (144)||Compensatory selection|
|5||18 (162)||From Jets|
|5||37 (181)||Compensatory selection|
|6||41 (226)||From Panthers through Jets|
Chiefs NFL Draft needs
- Offensive line: There’s no denying the Chiefs need a significant boost along the offensive line after Mahomes faced 29 pressures on 52 dropbacks in the Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay. Three starters from that group — are all free agents, and left tackle Eric Fisher, is coming off a torn ACL. They addressed that need by trading its first-, third- and fourth-round picks for the Ravens’ Orlando Brown … but will they continue to look to the draft to bolster depth?
- Wide receiver: Kansas City needs to continue investing in weapons for Mahomes, especially following the departure of Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson and Byron Pringle set to hit free agency in 2022.
Kansas Chiefs mock draft 2021
Here are the latest 2021 NFL Draft projections for the Chiefs, according to Vinnie Iyer’s seven-round mock draft:
|2||26 (58)||Ifeatu Melifonwu||CB||Syracuse|
|2||31 (63)||Rashod Bateman||WR||Minnesota|
|4||39 (144)||Ben Cleveland||G||Georgia|
|5||31 (175)||Tariq Thompson||S||San Diego State|
|5||37 (181)||David Moore||G||Grambling State|
|6||23 (207)||Ernest Jones||LB||South Carolina|