Zinedine Zidane refuses to be drawn on talk over his Real Madrid future before responding ‘I don’t think I’m a disaster of a coach’ to Frenchman’s critics who suggest his success is down to good fortune
- Real Madrid are in contention to win both LaLiga and the Champions League
- Zinedine Zidane could win his fourth European crown in five attempts
- However, his contract with the reigning league champions expires in 2022
- Zidane also fuelled rumours of a move to Juventus after discussing his old club
- The Frenchman refused to be drawn on his future ahead of the trip to Getafe
- Real only have 13 senior outfield players at their disposal for Sunday’s clash
Zinedine Zidane has said he is not ‘a disaster of a coach’ in response to a question about whether he has been lucky during his managerial career – and refused to be drawn on his future at Real Madrid.
The Frenchman’s contract at the Bernabeu expires in the summer of 2022, with the 48-year-old guiding Los Blancos into the semi-finals of the Champions League at Liverpool’s expense earlier this week.
Zidane is in contention to win Europe’s elite competition for the fourth time in the last five seasons he has been at the helm.
Zinedine Zidane could secure a second LaLiga-Champions League double as Real Madrid boss
However, Zidane did not rule out a move to manage former club Juventus at some point
Real are also just one point behind city rivals Atletico as they aim to defend their LaLiga title – but Zidane did discuss his fondness for former club Juventus earlier this month and did not distance himself from talk linking him to a Turin return at some point, with the Italian giants reportedly viewing Zidane as their best managerial option to replace Andrea Pirlo.
Ahead of his side’s trip to Getafe on Sunday, Zidane took a swipe at his critics, saying: ‘I’m not looking further ahead that tomorrow’s match. We’re focusing on the day-to-day work.
‘You can have a contract of four or five years and be gone tomorrow or the opposite. You could have a contract that is expiring and end up staying.
‘You don’t know anything. When you’ve said there’s a need to get rid of Zidane in the past. Well, I’m here.
‘I don’t know what will happen in three months or a year. I’m here and we have a game tomorrow.’
Zidane also responded to a question about whether he considered his spell in charge of the club had been characterised by good fortune.
Zidane also admitted he was not the best coach ‘for sure’ – but also said he wasn’t ‘a disaster’
‘Am I lucky? Yes, to be here at this great club,’ he replied. ‘I don’t think I’m a disaster of a coach. I’m not the best either, for sure.
‘You might not always do things well, but the important thing is to have passion. Then it can go well or go badly.
‘It’s important to give 100 percent every day and I do that, but especially my players.
Ferland Mendy is the latest casualty for Zidane as Real are down to 13 senior outfield players
‘There’s a lot of talk here, but that won’t change. I would like to talk with you [the media] about football more than we do, but there seems to be more interest in other things. I know you all like football too!’
Real head into their clash against Getafe on their last legs, with Zidane having just 13 senior outfield players at their disposal.
Ferland Mendy is the latest player to be ruled out after suffering an injury to his left leg, according to Diario AS.
Victor Chust could make his first LaLiga start as Real look to put pressure on Atletico Madrid
Mendy joins Raphael Varane, Sergio Ramos, Nacho, Lucas Vazquez, Dani Carvajal and Eden Hazard on the treatment table, while Casemiro is also out after his red card during the Clasico victory last weekend.
Real Madrid Castilla centre back Victor Chust has been drafted in and looks set to play in a back four also containing Eder Militao, Marcelo and Alvaro Odriozola.
The 21-year-old’s only appearance to date in LaLiga also came against Getafe in February in a 2-0 win.