in ,

IAEA confirms Iran has started enriching uranium to 60pct purity


Iran has started the process of enriching uranium to 60 percent fissile purity at an above-ground nuclear plant at Natanz, the UN nuclear watchdog said on Saturday, confirming earlier statements by Iranian officials.

The move has complicated talks aimed at reviving Iran’s nuclear deal with major powers as it is a big step towards producing weapons-grade uranium.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Iran had previously only reached 20 percent purity, and that was already a breach of the deal, which says Iran can only enrich to 3.67 percent.

Iran made the step up to 60 percent in response to an explosion that damaged equipment at the larger, underground Fuel Enrichment Plant at Natanz. Tehran has blamed Israel and named a man wanted in connection with the blast.

“The Agency today verified that Iran had begun the production of UF6 enriched up to 60 percent… at the (above-ground) Natanz Pilot Fuel Enrichment Plant,” the International Atomic Energy Agency said in a statement.

UF6 is uranium hexafluoride, the form in which uranium is fed into centrifuges for enrichment.

A confidential IAEA report to member states seen by Reuters provided more details.

“According to Iran’s declaration to the Agency, the enrichment level of the UF6 produced at PFEP was 55.3 percent U-235. The Agency took a sample of the produced UF6 for destructive analysis to independently verify the enrichment level declared by Iran. The results of this analysis will be reported by the Agency in due course,” the report said.

Read more:

Iran to begin enriching uranium at 60 pct purity: State media

Iran will start 60 pct uranium production, Iranian envoy to IAEA confirms

European powers concerned about Iran’s 60 pct uranium enrichment move: Statement



Source | alarabiya

90min

Kevin De Bruyne’s injury is bad news for Manchester City

Czechia expels Russian diplomats over 2014 ammunition depot blast |

Czechia expels Russian diplomats over 2014 ammunition depot blast | Europe News